Parking in Blackrock village has been severely disrupted in recent times and with Building Works due to continue for the next year or so, the BBN decided that it was past time to actively lobby the Council to devise ways to ease the burden on hard pressed shoppers and businesses. Your comments and suggestions last month were much appreciated and were taken on board in formulating our demands.
A meeting in June with John Broderick, Senior Engineer, and three others with responsibility for traffic management got the ball rolling. In the last week we have met with four of our Ward Councillors (the others were on holiday) to impress on them the need for urgency in getting concessions for Blackrock Shoppers and Businesses. The Councillors were in full agreement that action is needed and they took our proposals on board. They will now work on our behalf to get these proposals implemented at the earliest possible date.
Our proposals included the following:
- Removal of buffers on Temple Road to increase parking spaces by up to nine extra.
- Repainting the road markings would be of great benefit and would ease frustration for motorists
- Reduce pay and display hours
- Saturday parking promotion
- Correcting the logjam at the junction at Frank Keane Motors
- Removal of Bus Terminus at Blackrock Dart Station – potential for 23 additional spaces – this is a proposal for the medium term
- Other medium term proposals included a demand for an assessment to determine the most appropriate location in which to construct a Multi-storey Carpark
We will keep you posted on progress. Thank you for your support.
On behalf of the BBN Board