Blackrock Seafront Plaza
Trader/business feedback needed
The Blackrock Seafront Plaza Concept has got a lot of publicity over the last week
or two. Together with the Blackrock Village Regeneration Action Group (BVRAG) the
BBN has been actively sharing and engaging with relevant stakeholder and
residence groups on the initiative. So far the response has been massively positive
and supportive, and you may have seen coverage by the Irish Times on Monday 11
Oct 2021 (online and in print). Click here to read. We would remind businesses in
particular to complete the feedback questionnaire. We want to ensure that the
feedback we receive is equally reflective of the views of business and the residential
Paddy Moloney - Passing of an icon
The sad news of the passing of Paddy Moloney reached us in recent days. Paddy from Donnycarney in North Dublin – was an exceptional musician and was the founder and leader of the Chieftans. He almost singlehandedly put Irish traditional music on the world stage over many decades.
The trad group was formed in 1962 and went on to international success, winning six Grammy awards. Paddy was also a prolific producer, having spent several years in the 1960s and 70s working as managing director of record label Claddagh Records.
Paddy is survived by his wife Rita and children Aonghus, Pádraig and Aedín. President Michael D Higgins has led tributes to Paddy, saying both the Irish music community and musicians around the world found inspiration in his work.
Paddy had big connections with Blackrock and was a regular visitor to Ruchii Restaurant since they opened in 2018. Ar dheis Dé go raibh a anam.
Planning applications coming in thick and fast!
The Rock Hill and Bath Place areas have been the subject of a number of planning applications in recent months. Planning applications have been submitted relating to the Hill Motors site (see graphic above), 13-15 Rock Hill (Khan building), and 23 Rock Hill (former Permanent TSB building). The following is the status of the applications:
1. Hill Motors: Decision – Refused Permission. Decision Date: 23 Sept 2021
2. 13-15 Rock Hill: Decision – Grant Permission. Decision Date: 4 Aug 2021
3. 23 Rock Hill: Decision – Request Additional Info. Decision Date 6 Oct 2021
The 13-15 Rock Hill decision has now been appealed to An Bord Pleanála. A decision is due by 12 Jan 2022.
Blackrock Athletics Club
Natasha and Ruby going through their paces!
Blackrock Athletic Club is happy to announce that training is well and truly getting back to normal. A reminder that reduced rates for membership for the remainder of the year are available. More information is available on their membership page. Membership is open for those aged 14+ and if you are a teenager, there is no better time to start in athletics. Why not check out the club’s recent article on the benefits of running for teens?
Junior and Juvenile members are busy with the Cross Country Season Competitions which kicked off recently with plenty more going on between now and Christmas.
The senior sections of the club have also been very busy of late. Blackrock A.C. members took part in the National 50k and 100k Championships in Mondello in August, The Women’s Mini Marathon, The Wicklow Eco Trail which consisted of 18k, 45k, and 80k distances in very challenging terrain as well as Amsterdam, Berlin, Belfast, Dublin, Galway, Monaghan, Rotterdam and Wicklow marathons. Parkruns have returned also, with many members taking part in 5k runs in Cabinteely, Poolbeg and further afield.
Check out the news section on their website for more. While you are there, why not check out their 5 Great Irish Running Documentaries to get you in the mood? Connect with Blackrock Athletic Club on Facebook, Instagram, LinkedIn and Twitter to stay up to date.
Leprechaun Chase - volunteers needed!
The Leprechaun Chase has been running for several years now and has been a great success with kids, parents and businesses alike. We have been fortunate that a number of great event organisers have stepped up to the plate each year to take on the large amount of hard work and organisation needed to make it all happen. These organisers have in the main been amateur committed members of the community who have given of their time and energy for the greater good.
We hope to run the Leprechaun Chase again in March 2022 but we need volunteers to step forward. In particular we need somebody or somebodies to project manage the event.
Jane Carroll - new location!
After 7 years of trading in Blackrock Village, Jane Carroll Design is delighted to announce that Jane is moving to a more visible location at 1 Main Street, opposite Parlour (previously Coffee2Go) and next to Conway’s. The move has allowed Jane to incorporate a fresh new approach to window display, signage and lighting. Jane is looking forward to reopening on Tuesday, 26 October 2021, and very much looks forward to welcoming all their loyal existing customers alongside some new ones too!
Nordic Elements (Interior Design Studio and Gallery) recently opened its doors and the BBN would like to welcome them to Blackrock. They specialise in stylish and unique home accessories as well as limited edition pieces.
Blackrock Business Network AGM
At the BBN AGM held last month the following Board was elected:
Chairman: Tom Feeney
Secretary: Vivienne Bradley
Treasurer: Brendan McLoughlin
Elected Members: Jim Kenny, Mary Boissel, Nicki Cloonan, Jane Carroll, Joel Durand
Co-opted Members: John Dunne, Séafra O’Faoláin, Nicola Fox, Gwen Browne, Bob Toal
Urbact - Tourism friendly cities
There are 9 cities participating in the Tourism Friendly Cities project led by Genoa of Italy. Dun Laoghaire-Rathdown is Ireland’s representative. As part of the project, representatives from the other cities came to Dun Laoghaire earlier this month to sample what Dun Laoghaire-Rathdown County has to offer a visiting tourist. The BBN was happy to welcome the party to Blackrock, after they cycled from Sandycove to Blackrock via the Coastal Mobility Route (coastal cycleway) and give them a tour of the village. In the picture above, Mary Boissel (the lady in red!) represented the BBN on a boat trip to Dalkey Island.
- Fill in the DLR Vision for Community Wellbeing Consultationsurvey and share your views on at least one of the themes of the consultation. Everyone who fills in the survey is automatically entered into a draw to win one of three €100 vouchers. You can fill in the survey as an individual or on behalf of a group. To take the DLR PPN Vision for community wellbeing survey, please click here.
- Communities that are committed to protecting biodiversity and wildlifeare being offered an opportunity to work with an expert ecologist under additional grant supports. Local groups in counties across Ireland are being invited to apply under three strands, each with the aim of developing actions which will deliver real results with a Community Biodiversity Plan. Communities will work with an ecologist to draw up a community biodiversity action plan within their local community or with two or 3-5 local landowners. Read more here
- All Local Authorities are required by the Department of Housing, Local Government and Heritage to complete a Social Housing Assessment for everyone who has applied for inclusion on the Social Housing Support List. The purpose of the Social Housing Assessment is to capture the total number of households qualified for social housing support across the country whose social housing need is not being met, in order to understand the level of need for such support. The deadline is the 25th of October. Read more here
- Special interest – one workshop for each of the following interest areas:
– Disability Interest Groups– 21st October – 3.00pm to 4.30pm – register here
– Open Workshop– 27th October – 7.00pm to 8.30pm (open to anyone who would have liked to register for the date above, but was not available) – register here
5. St. Patrick’s Festival x TikTok Creative Fund now open – A €100,000 creative fund now open to community organisations and groups across Ireland, who connect with, empower, and uplift their communities through arts, culture, and creativity. Deadline for applications: October 24th 2021. Read more here.
6. Fund to develop sensory gardens is now open for organisations providing services and supports to children and/or adults with disabilities and which are funded by the HSE through a Section 38 or Section 39 Service Arrangement. Read more here.
7. Survey about the www.dlrcoco.ie website – Would you be interested in participating in a short video call or phone call to discuss your experience and perceptions of the dlrcoco.ie website? The interview (20 – 30 minutes) will be conducted via Zoom (or whatever software you are comfortable with) or a phone call and within the month of October. If you are interested in participating, please email Sorcha Donohoe at email@example.com.
8. We have been asked to circulate the HSE update about the fact that additional COVID-19 vaccination dose for those who are immunocompromised is beginning to be offered. This is for people whose immune system is weak due to a health condition or a specific treatment. Read more here about this and other initiatives.
9. The Community Foundation for Ireland: Older Person’s Fund is open for applications for two categories: Advocacy and Active Citizenship. The Fund will support projects in the area of civic engagement which support older people’s ‘voice’ at a local and national level, and their capacity to engage in all strands of society, as well as promote older people’s participation as active citizens in their communities and their inclusion in civic life. Deadline for applications: October 20th 2021. Read more here .